The Scrum Team as defined in the ScrumGuide is a balance of three roles that work with each other. These three roles work together to do all the work that a project manager would have traditionally done. The three roles balance each other out and different responsibilities ensure that the product is progressed through negotiation and agreement.
- Self-Organising; Chooses how to accomplish work without being directed by others
- Cross Functional; possesses competencies needed to accomplish the work without depending on others
- The Whole Scrum Team works together to do all the work a project Manager would have done
Three Roles in Scrum
- Development Team - builds the product
- Product Owner - holds the vision of the product
- Scrum Master - helps the team best use Scrum to build the product
The Relationships between the roles
- Product Owner and the Development Team work "with" each other
- Scrum Master "serves" the Development Team and Product Owner
The result is a slightly unstable balance between three roles that all have a slightly different view of the world. This balance is constantly adjusting through constant inspection of the work the scrum team performs.